With the NFL season set to kick off Thursday night, we take a look at 11 rookies who, with absolutely no experience at all, deserve your bets. But maybe not for the reasons you think.
1) Geno SmithWith Mark Sanchez injured and possibly heading for IR, smith appears to be THE GUY. If he can’t shoulder the load, we’ll soon find out, but it’s hard not to bet on the guy replacing Sanchez (low blow, like butt-fumble low).
2) Eddie LacyDon’t be fooled. That big ass dude is not a linebacker stalking A.J. McCarron. That’s Lacy in all his running back glory. Big = good. That’s the formula.
3) Tyrann MathieuLove guys with a Twitter account, and he clearly LOVED Hey Rookie when he was on the social media site. Let’s be honest, any NFL Films programming is worth the watch. Check out some footage here and find out why we’re betting on Mathieu.
4) DeAndre Hopkins
Hopkins is comfortable enough with his new digs in Houston to flash a hook ‘em horns sign…even though he played at Clemson. Hey, Texas and Clemson both have orange uniforms, so that counts.
5) Alec OgletreeOgle–too easy. Instead, we’ll just say this: Ogletree’s name is awesome and we want to hear it over and over again. That’s got to be worth betting on, no?
6) Star LotuleleiThe dude has an entire nation – that’s not the United States – rooting for him. That counts for something. Plus, his first name is star. Sportscenter headlong of the future: “Star’s a star!”
7) David Bakhtiari
This passage alone (from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)makes Bakhtiari worth the bet, or at least worth the watch:
For three weeks — rep by rep through these one-on-one drills — Bakhtiari has meticulously irritated the All-Pro Matthews.
On one rush this week, Matthews finally ripped past the rookie, slipped, fell and screamed an obscenity. Other offensive linemen mocked him, shouting that Bakhtiari was getting inside his head. Steam practically shot out of Matthews’ ears.
8) Kenbrell ThompkinsTom Brady needs some more targets. No more Wes Welker. No More Aaron Hernandez. Probably very little Rob Gronkowski. Dude needs someone to throw to, so why not Thompkins?
9) Robert Alford#TeamAlford is insanely inspirational. Thank you once again Twitter for bringing us closer to these athletes. Continue using your power for good, not evil.
10) Sio Moore
Oh yes, NFL rookie cards are out. Who doesn’t want this guy to win? Who?!
11) Jon Bostic
This. All. Day. Long.