Football is back! Tonight marks the official kickoff of the 2013 NFL season. The Baltimore Ravens travel to Denver to take on the Broncos. And with the first game of the season comes a bevy of official predictions. Today was the last day to get your Super Bowl picks in, the last day to set your fantasy roster, and the last day to read predictions for the first time.
We’ve got 10 predications (5 for each team) related to the Broncos and Ravens. And these predictions are rock solid. Clearly.
1) The Broncos will win the Super BowlOf the experts, more pick the Broncos to win it all than any other team. Business Insider calculated the predictions of some of the top analysts in the sport (ESPN, SI, CBS, and USA Today). Of those analysts, 9 out of 32 picked the Broncos to go all the way.
2) The Ravens will NOT win the Super BowlOn the exact opposite end of the spectrum, the same set of analysts failed to pick the Ravens at all. I guess no one is expecting a repeat after all of last season’s departures.
3) The Broncos defense will take a step back
Von Miller managed to land himself a six game suspension for not only violating the league’s substance abuse policy, but for trying to conceal the positive test. That’s proof kids, own your mistakes. Don’t try to cover them up. With Miller out that long, the guys at Bleacher Report think the Broncos will struggle to replicate the defensive success they had last season.
4) The Ravens defense will actually get better
5) The Broncos will most likely finish 11-5
If we’re to believe the Denver Post – and why wouldn’t we – the Broncos could be the Super Bowl favorites. But they’ll have to get a decent enough seed with just an 11-5 record. Three out of the six Post writers polled thought the Broncos would finish with five losses. Most of that comes from the uncertainty of Von Miller’s absence.
6) John Harbaugh’s awesomeness will ensure a season-opening victoryLong title aside, the Ravens have not lost a season-opener under John Harbaugh points out Jason Butt of Baltimore Beatdown. Of course, streaks are meant to be broken. But don’t question the power of a Harbaugh.
7) Peyton Manning will win the MVP…againIn his first season back from cervical fusion surgery, Peyton Manning won the MVP. ESPN’s Jamison Hensley thinks he’ll do it again.
8) The Ravens will have the Defensive Rookie of the Year
You heard it hear first. Matt Elam or Arthur Brown will win the Defensive Rookie of the Year says Mark Shinnamon of Baltimore Beatdown. Known for their defense over the last century or so, this seems like a safe pick.
9) The Broncos will crush the Ravens tonight
In a prediction that can’t possibly be wrong – it was in April for God’s sake – the Broncos will take the Ravens down by a score of 34-17. Never mind any of the news and roster changes that have taken place since this prediction. It’s as rock-solid as any.
10) Joe Flacco will set a new career-high in touchdown passesBen Heck of WNST thinks Joe Flacco will live up to his new contract. After helping the Ravens to a Super Bowl victory last season, Flacco will set a new personal best in not only passing yards, but in touchdown passes too.